Fedora Malaysia at MOSC 2012
Jul 09, 2012 09:00 AM
Jul 10, 2012 05:00 PM
|Where||Berjaya Time Square Hotel and Convention Center|
|Add event to calendar||
On 9th and 10th July 2012, Malaysia Open Source Conference (MOSC) 2012 was held in Berjaya Time Square Hotel and Convention Center, Kuala Lumpur, and we are from Fedora Malaysia get the oppurtunity to open our booth in to promote Fedora in that event.
The participants were about 300 people, in the early morning our booth still quiet, maybe because our booth is not interseted, we don't have anything on the table except my laptop to Demo Fedora, some swags (pin and keychain) over FUDconKL and several fliers about Fedora Malaysia, we do not have time to produce swags it's caused the event organizers offer to us near the event will be held, our booth are crowded after lunch and continued until evening, when the Fedora 17 Live CD are sent from the Red Hat Singapore finally arrived, the people who came to our booth a variety from Fedora user, Open Source developers, system administrators, entrepreneurs, CIOs, CTOs, expert users, strategists and enthusiasts and even that the people does not know anything about what is Linux/Open Source.
They are very interested in the presence of Fedora in MOSC, because on average they are a user of Ubuntu and Windows, we explained to them that come to our booth about the latest features in Fedora 17, why they should try to use Fedora and many more also answered their question about Fedora.
Because of the limitations of CD's sent around 200 for that time, we only give to people who really are interested in trying to use Fedora, so now we still have around 70 CD left.
There are some good statement from the people who came to our booth :
1. I want to take a LPI exam, is there any training about Linux the Fedora Malaysia organize, we hope Fedora Malaysia can come to our campus and give us about Linux training, and we can provide what Fedora Malaysia need, because our campus is really interseted to learn about Linux and Fedora especialy.
2. Good job for Fedora, so many improvement I have seen since the last time I'm used Fedora Core and must move to windows because of the demands of work, and I think I'll go back to try Fedora with this Fedora 17 Live CD.
3. Hopefully Fedora Malaysia can make the event even more to spread Fedora in Malaysia, as most people know that Linux is Ubuntu.
An this is aquestions from some people who do not know Fedora/Linux/Open Source :
1. Aah, Facebook are here. (Because Fedora logo is F with blue color)
2. Wow, Fedora Desktop (Gnome 3.4) looks like the iphone, can I do it like a touchscreen?
3. Why you can give this CD free and no need the Serial Number, like Suse Enterprise also give us the CD, or this is just a trial?
4. If I want to install this, how I can install this in my windows, just like to run exe program?
5. I am a Ubuntu user, which you think the best I compare Ubuntu with Fedora?
Aside Fedora malaysia, there are also other open source communities such as Mozilla, Debian, Ubuntu, BSD/NAS, Puppet, Suse Enterprise, Open Suse, Drupal, and many more.
Here the full of photo : http://goo.gl/IkFLF
And jurankdankkal blog post : http://goo.gl/e3a2n